Every insect has a different methods of treatment. They cannot be driven away in the same general ways. Insects like crane flies are different from the normal flies and should be treated differently. The crane fly has different names like gallinippers, mosquito hawks, skeeter eaters and Mosquito eaters. These insects are not poisonous and they do not feed on mosquitoes although some people believe they do.
It is also true that they are not much of a nuisance to humans as they are not attracted to humans. But, their larva can damage your plants and your lawn which is a matter of concern. Moreover, who would like to pull in guests in a home infested with Crane flies?
Crane Fly Apperance:
How to Get Rid Of Crane Flies (Mosquito Eaters)?
Crane flies have very simply methods of treatment. One does not need taking much trouble in their case. They are larger than mosquitoes and have longer legs.
- Shutting doors and windows- The best thing about them is that they do not generally come in a buzzing bunch. By simply keeping doors and windows shut, one can keep these insects at a distance. If there are screens on the doors and windows then you should definitely check for gaps and holes.
- Crane flies like most flies are attracted to light so make sure your windows are closed at night if you have lights on, If you need your windows and doors open in the summer make sure you limit the amount of light inside by closing your curtains or turning the lights off altogether.
- Using a bug zapper- A zapper is always very useful in dealing with insects. The doors and windows of the house which are the main entrances for these insects should have these zappers. The crane flies will easily get attracted to the light and get zapped. I recommend the Flowtron bug zappers, Flowtron Electronic Insect Killer.
- Cleaning your lawn- Dead plants, fallen leaves and puddles in your lawn can attract these insects. Plant detritus scattered in the garden should be cleaned immediately. These files generally feed on rotten foliage. The more they will be removed the better environment will be ensured.
- Make sure you are cutting your lawn once a week during the summer months and keep the cut grass out of the way or on your compost heap/bins
- Using organic pesticides- Organic pesticides are very helpful. They should be spread around the house, three to four times. This will help in getting rid of larvae. Garlic, oil and dish soap can be used to make relents of crane flies.
Facts about crane flies
In order to treat an insect and drive it away completely, it is important to know certain facts about it. These crane flies are brownish-yellow in color and are transparent. They have elongated faces. The extended abdomen ones are females that carry eggs. These eggs are generally capped with ovipositors. Though they may look similar to stingers, it is not so.
They are only useful for reproductive purposes. Crane flies generally lay their eggs on the ground where the larvae feed on dry and dead leaves. As a result of their feeding, plant roots get damaged. Wet, mossy and open woodland areas are also generally the dwelling place for the adult cranes. They survive for a long period generally, unlike other species which only live till the reproductive process is complete. With most types of fly to get rid of crane flies you need to remove the breeding source.
In UK, South Africa, Australia and certain other countries, they are also known as daddy long legs. If the surrounding areas of the house are kept clean, then these flies have no work there. They generally choose leafy and swampy areas. Therefore, people should try to keep the surroundings of their house clean. The cleaner the surrounding is, the better it is for the owners of the house.
Repellents are easily available online and at most supermarkets. Cleaning your yard should be done once in a while also to prevent crane flies laying eggs in your lawn. Keep your lawn well trimmed and any trimmings heaped up out of the way, In a green bin or in bin bags.
Summary- It is very important to keep the backyard and lawns of the house clean, so that no foliage or water accumulation takes place. Once you remove all of that and crane flies can be easily kept at bay.